By Mike Wolfe
This was originally posted in May 2017, and has been reviewed, revised, and updated in March 2019.
If you are an inbound marketer in the B2B space, you understand how much time and energy goes into planning and executing your marketing campaigns. Success not only requires a solid inbound strategy, but it also requires knowledge of the latest marketing, content, and design best practices.
Lucky for us, there are tons of marketing resources out there for B2B marketers who are looking for ways to improve performance and move the needle for their company or organization.
In my attempt to create the last B2B marketing resources list you’ll ever need to read, here are 50 (that’s right, 50) inbound marketing resources any B2B marketer can benefit from subscribing to in 2019 and beyond:
Resources for Inbound and Content Marketing Best Practices
First, let’s start with the top resources for learning (or brushing up on) general inbound marketing methodology concepts, ideas, and best practices. These resources cover a wide variety of topics that will keep you moving in the right direction.
HubSpot blog subscribers are delivered a “daily dose of inbound” that keeps them at the forefront of inbound marketing trends and best practices. In addition to blog articles and content, HubSpot also offers an amazing inbound marketing training curriculum.
- The Ultimate Guide to Google Ranking Factors in 2019
- How B2B Vendors Can Generate Trust and Credibility With Their Website
- How One Company's New Blog Strategy Increased Lead Flow by 700% in One Year
- The Best of B2B Marketing Content: 10 Examples
Granted, I may be a little biased by mentioning The Intelligent Inbound Blog by SmartBug Media, but with contributions from some of the most intelligent and hard-working marketers and creatives I know, I couldn’t leave it out of my list. New articles are posted daily on topics such as inbound marketing, creative design, marketing strategy, paid media, PR, sales enablement, and web development—proving to be a valuable resource for any B2B marketer.
- The 5 Step Marketing Research Process
- The Difference Between Direct and Organic Search Traffic Sources
- 55 Questions to Ask When Developing Buyer Personas
- 8 Ways to Increase Organic Traffic
3. Seth Godin
I doubt there are many marketers out there who don’t know who Seth Godin is, but in case you don’t, he’s a best-selling author, entrepreneur, and marketer who often writes and speaks about how messages and ideas spread in today’s busy world. Every day, he shares his thoughts in pithy, quick-hitting blog posts.
- What is Marketing?
- Email checklist
- There is no 'the industry'
- Sharp knives are safer
- Nickels and dimes are worth less than that
The mission of the Content Marketing Institute is to advance the practice of content marketing, through online education, print, and in-person seminars. Subscribers get how-to marketing advice for their content strategies, B2B content marketing case studies, research, and more.
- The Best Checklists, Tips, and Templates for Content Marketing in 2019
- These 7 Visual Tactics Can Boost Landing Page Conversions
- How to Create a Good Brief for Better Content Marketing
- 4 B2B Content Secrets You Fail to Use
More Resources for Inbound and Content Marketing Best Practices:
5. G2 Crowd Learning Hub
6. Smart Insights – Actionable Marketing Advice
7. Marketo’s Blog
8. Pardot’s Blog
9. Act-On’s Marketing Action Blog
Resources for Account-Based Marketing
ABM is more than a buzzword—it’s increasingly becoming a B2B marketing standard. For marketers who are laser-focused on engaging and converting their best prospects, there are several resources that can help.
11. Terminus Blog
The Terminus Blog mixes several articles, podcasts, and videos on topics related to ABM methodology and how to mend the common disconnects between sales and marketing teams.
- How to Measure the Effectiveness of Account-Based Advertising
- How to Get Sales on Board with Account-Based Marketing
- 5 Challenges with Scaling Account-Based Marketing
More Resources for Inbound and Content Marketing Best Practices:
12. The ABM Blog
Resources for Content Writing
Once you have your inbound strategy down, the next step is to create or fine-tune your content. These resources will help you improve your writing skills and deliver amazing content that your personas will love to read.
Copyblogger and Copyblogger FM provide a wealth of information for content writers. Check out their blog or podcast for tips that will help you master content marketing.
- Best of Copyblogger: 2018 Edition
- 12 Methods to Get from Blank Page to First Draft
- A 10-Minute ‘Hack’ that Makes You a More Confident and Effective Writer
- The Difference Between B2B and B2C Marketing (and Other Questions)
ProBlogger is another great resource for tips on starting a blog, creating content, finding readers, and building a community on your website.
- The Best Way to Start a Blog in 2019
- 4 Things I Learnt as a Blogger Working at an Influencer Marketing Platform
- The 9 Conversion Habits of the World’s Most Successful Bloggers
More Resources for Content Writing:
18. Grammar Girl
19. Writing Forward
21. Express Writers
Resources for Branding and Design
As you create content for your audience, you need to consider design principles that will not only help your content stand out, but will also solidify your brand. The following resources can help B2B marketers do just that.
Canva’s Design School has everything you need to learn basic design skills for delivering your content. Their daily articles, interactive tutorials, and awesome tips are mostly tailored for beginners.
- 6 Trending Colors to Use in 2019
- Here’s how to get a jump on your click-through rate by designing an effective banner ad
- 50 modern fonts for a contemporary look
23. You the Designer
YouTheDesigner is a graphic design lifestyle blog that delivers cutting-edge design trends, tips, tutorials, and inspirations. The blog is written for designers, but a lot of the content can be useful to B2B marketers who don’t have in-house design resources.
More Resources for Branding and Design:
24. The Design Blog
Resources for Content Promotion
Once your content is created and pulled together with awesome eye-catching design, it’s time to promote it. These resources provide great tips on how to optimize your channels for promotion and deliver content to your audience.
Social Media Examiner helps inbound marketers discover how to best use social media marketing to connect with customers and, in turn, drive traffic back to their website. The Examiner stays on top of the latest social media platform updates and how they will affect marketers.
- 10+ Marketing Predictions for 2019 From Top Marketers
- How to Conduct a Social Media Audit
- Facebook Tests Live Split-screen Broadcasts: This Week in Social Media
Social Media Today brings together the news, trends, and best practices around enterprise social and digital marketing. There is something new and insightful to read every day.
- The 2019 Social Media Image Optimization Guide [Infographic]
- 5 Social Media Marketing Podcasts Worth Listening To In 2019
Oktopost is a B2B social media management platform, so naturally their blog is written to the B2B audience. Some posts are quite a bit longer than others, but each article gives you an estimated read time so you know how long it will take to read.
- Top 10 B2B Social Media Tools to Use in 2019
- Building a B2B Social Media Campaign Skyscraper: A Step-by-Step Guide
- 3 Tips for Aligning your B2B Brand on Social Media
More Resources for Content Promotion:
32. Mailigen’s Email Marketing Blog
Resources for Online Advertising and PPC
When executing your inbound marketing strategy, sometimes a little paid promotion is needed to get things started. These resources for online advertising and PPC tips and best practices can help.
Google’s official blog for news, tips, and information on Google Ads is filled with insight that should guide your PPC strategy.
- Drive better results: An insider's look at the latest Google Ads innovations
- Create more effective ads for today’s consumer
34. PPC Hero
PPC Hero offers tons of helpful resources for paid search marketing including articles, guides, white papers, reports, webinars and conferences.
- 3 Strategies To Consider When Thinking About Bidding
- How to Organize a Successful PPC Audit
- How are Your Best Practices Holding Up In 2019?
Looking for some advertising inspiration? AdFreak collects and shares the latest and most creative and amusing ads (from just about any industry) that are making an impact or creating some buzz. Most of the articles are quick-hitting and not every article contains insights that will help you improve your brand or your marketing efforts, but sometimes all it takes are a couple of good campaign examples to spark some of your own out-of-the-box ideas for promoting your content.
More Resources for Online Advertising and PPC:
36. The SEM Post
37. The Wordstream Blog
Resources for Search Marketing/SEO
Want to spend less on paid promotion? It helps when your content and targeted keywords are ranking high in search engine results and you’re able to bring a steady stream of new organic traffic every month. These SEO resources can help you plan and fine-tune your content to optimize for search.
Search Engine Land covers SEO topics and news for readers with all levels of SEO expertise. Their daily news recap reports everything important that happened in search each day from sources all across the web. That alone makes it worth subscribing to.
- The complete guide to optimizing content for SEO (with checklist)
- Why Google’s SEO advice is NOT (always) in your best interest
Search Engine Watch gathers the latest SEO news, tips, and study results for anyone looking to stay at the forefront of search, PPC, and analytics trends.
- 2019 in search: Find your seamlessness
- SEO Year In Review: 2018 saw Google updates and a focus on mobile
40. The Moz Blog
The Moz Blog is home to tons of advice, research, how-to’s, and insights that will help your SEO efforts and online marketing skills. On the blog, there’s a recurring “Daily SEO Fix” video series that provides quick fixes to your keyword strategies. The articles are well-written and their videos make learning about SEO even more fun than you thought.
More Resources for Search Marketing/SEO:
Resources for Website Optimization (Analytics and Testing)
So you’ve created awesome, attention-grabbing content for your personas, promoted it on several channels and improved your keyword ranking in search engines, and now you have tons of traffic coming to your site, right? Awesome. Now, it’s time to optimize your website and landing pages for higher conversion. These resources will help you identify and measure the data that counts in order to increase conversion rates and generate more leads.
45. Neil Patel
Neil Patel provides several video blogs and podcasts about conversion rate optimization (among several other things) and offers plenty of valuable advice for marketers who are looking for help with tracking analytics, performing A/B tests, and much more.
The Unbounce blog is all about landing page and conversion optimization. They often write about conversion benchmarks and lessons learned from various types of A/B testing. Articles are broken up with lots of visuals that keep you engaged with the content—not that the content needs help, because the information presented is really interesting.
- 2019 Is the Year of Page Speed. Are You Ready?
- 20 Conversion Optimization Tips for Zooming Past Your Competition
The Nielsen Norman Group is a great resource for evidence-based user experience research, training, and consulting. They provide UX training seminars and valuable reports (for a fee), but they also produce several articles each week on web usability and user testing topics. Each article begins with a quick summary, which is nice if you’re just looking for the main points or takeaways.
- User-Experience Quiz: 2018 UX Year in Review
- B2B vs. B2C Websites: Key UX Differences
- B2B Product Specifications: Guidelines for Creating Useful Product-Specs Pages
- UX Research Cheat Sheet
More Resources for Website Optimization:
48. The Daily Egg
49. Adobe Blog
50. Visual Website Optimizer Blog
So there you have it. 50 resources that every B2B marketer should subscribe to in 2019. By now, I’m sure you’ve realized that there is a lot of overlap in the topics mentioned, but the end goals for each of these resources are all the same: to help you generate more website leads, increase your marketing ROI, and grow your company. If these are your ultimate goals, be sure to check out The Busy Marketer's Guide to Generating More Leads Online.
Do you know of other great resources for B2B marketers? Tweet at us at @smartbugmedia and let us know!