By Ryan Malone
Most marketers agree that a potential customer has to see an advertisement several times before they will make a decision to purchase. Some say that the ad has to be viewed at least three times, and others propose that it must be as many as seven times. However, nobody will tell you that only a single exposure to a marketing message is effective. The point is: repetition matters. Marketers refer to this mysterious magic number as the effective frequency: the number of times an ad must be viewed before a decision is made.
Add Remarketing to your Display Advertising
So how do you achieve an effective frequency through online advertising? Google's remarketing feature allows you to display ads to people who have already visited your website. When you set up remarketing, you simply tag the pages of your website that you want to target. For example, if you sell dog toys, you can add code to tag a product page so that any visitor who landed on the page will see your advertisements next time they browse the Internet and land on pages within the Google Display Network.
Remarketing is a cost-effective tool that comes with many benefits for marketers:
- Brand exposure - The more a potential customer is exposed to your brand, the more likely they are to buy from you when they decide to make a purchase.
- Higher conversion rates - This greater brand exposure leads to higher conversion rates for your display advertising campaigns. Keeping your brand at the top of their minds will increase your chances of a future sale.
- Better ROI - Better conversion rates translate to a faster return on your investment and a lower cost per sale.
- Audience targeting - You can enhance your remarketing efforts by targeting specific audiences based on their interests or demographics. You can even target warm leads like site visitors who abandoned a shopping cart.
- Flexible budget - Like all other Google advertising tools, you have complete control of the budget and robust reporting tools to help you make smart spending decisions. You can also see which sites in the Display Network perform the best so you can optimize the messages and budgets for specific pages.
Because you are remarketing to people who have already shown an interest in your products or services, you get more bang for your advertising dollar. Each additional impression increases the chances that you will gain a new purchase, and even existing customers benefit from being regularly reminded about your brand.
Remarketing is just one of the many tools that Google and other search engines provide for online marketers. But remember, a successful online sales strategy depends on more than just advertising. Integrating AdWords with other tactics such as content marketing through blogs, white paper, e-books, and other keyword-rich text will help ensure that your website reaches the top and stays there. For help with content marketing, inbound marketing, and social media, contact the experts at SmartBug Media.
What other tools do you use for online marketing?