The Complete Buyer Persona Kit for Your Financial Services Company
Financial services marketers! Are you delivering unique, compelling, and targeted digital content to the people you want to attract most? A successful demand generation or lead nurturing campaign depends on this foundational content, and the first step toward delivering it is creating accurate buyer personas or realistic archetypes of your target audience segments.
Buyer personas serve as the foundation of an inbound marketing strategy. They are not just a compilation of demographic information, but they also identify your potential customers’ financial backgrounds, goals, and pain points, and identify how your company can best serve them.
This kit contains everything you need to create precise personas and develop a content strategy to draw them in:
- Detailed sample templates for common personas in your industry
- Questions to walk you through the persona creation process step by step
- A guide for mapping content specifically for buyer personas seen in the financial services industry
- Helpful information about the role of content in the Buyer’s Journey
Resources you will find in this kit:
10 Questions You Should Ask When Developing Buyer Personas
Here are 10 questions you should ask to create rock-solid archetypes of your ideal customers. Use this worksheet to begin your buyer persona development and learn how asking the right questions can help you better capture, convert, and delight your audience.
This worksheet lives in Google Docs.
Financial Services Buyer Persona Template
This template includes two buyer persona samples for a financial services company, so you can see what the slide looks like with actual content in place and how your buyer persona interviews can shape your target audience into one clean persona.
This template lives in Google Slides.
Mini Guide to Mapping Content to the Financial Services Buyer’s Journey
Each buyer persona has unique triggers that cause them to look for a solution, as well as different features or services they’re evaluating during the buying process. The financial industry is complex and multifaceted, which means there are a wide variety of potential buyer personas. This guide helps you map content to each of your buyer personas, to make sure your content resonates with your intended audience.
This guide is a downloadable PDF.
What is a buyer persona?
A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of a customer based on market research and real data about customer demographics, behavior patterns, motivations, and goals. Buyer personas help your financial institution better understand its target audience, enabling it to create more effective marketing strategies, product development, customer service, and sales processes.
Why do I need a buyer persona for financial services?
Having a customized buyer persona for each specific financial service your company offers can help you better understand your target audience and create products, services, and marketing messages that meet their needs. Knowing customers’ motivations, preferences, and goals can help financial service companies create tailored solutions and messages, resulting in a more successful customer experience. It can also help companies identify areas for improvement and develop strategies to better meet customer expectations.
Note: You should have multiple personas based on the multiple services your financial institution offers. For example, someone seeking an auto loan is a very different persona than someone looking to set up a college fund for their child, who is very different from someone in need of financial planning, and so on.
What should a financial services buyer persona include?
A buyer persona should include demographic and psychographic information, such as age, gender, income, and interests. It should also include detailed information about the customer’s needs, motivations, and goals, as well as their preferences and pain points when it comes to financial services. Additionally, it should include information about the customer’s behavior and decision-making process, such as how they research financial services, where they look for information, and what they consider when choosing a financial service institution and service offering.
How do I create a buyer persona for financial services?
STEP 1: Download the Complete Buyer Persona Kit for Your Financial Services Company.
STEP 2: Use the “10 Questions You Should Ask When Developing Buyer Personas for Your Bank or Financial Services Company” document to come up with questions you would like to answer about your target audience.
STEP 3: Start your market research and conduct interviews to answer these questions.
STEP 4: Create at least three different personas using the “Financial Services Buyer Persona” template.
STEP 5: Once the personas are created, use the “Mini Guide to Mapping Content to the Financial Services Buyer’s Journey” to develop your marketing strategy to target your ideal customers.
Learn more about how to create a buyer persona with these five steps.
How will a buyer persona improve my marketing for financial services?
Having a buyer persona for financial services can help you create more effective marketing strategies. When you understand your customers’ needs, preferences, and goals, you can create tailored messages and solutions that better meet their needs. This will help you reach more of your target audience and make them more likely to engage with your types of financial services. Additionally, it can help you identify areas for improvement and create strategies to better meet customer expectations for each financial service you offer.
How do I attract and engage new banking customers with a buyer persona?
1. Take time to research your ideal banking customer. Consider their lifestyle and habits, such as what they read, what they watch, and what they buy. Keep in mind both their current financial situation and where they plan to be in the future.
2. Put yourself in their shoes: Once you have gathered all the data, put yourself in your banking customer’s shoes and think about the reasons they would choose your bank over the competition. What problems can you solve? What services and features can you offer that other banks don’t?
3. Create engaging content: Use the data you’ve gathered to create content that resonates with your target customer. Whether it’s blog posts, videos, or other forms of content, make sure it is tailored to the needs and interests of your buyer persona.
4. Focus on building relationships: Develop relationships with your customers by engaging with them on a personal level. Use social media, emails, and in-person events to connect with them.
5. Offer incentives: Offer incentives such as rewards, discounts, and other promotions to attract and retain customers.
How do I market to millennial and Gen Z clients using the right buyer persona?
1. Use the right language: Younger generations prefer a conversational tone and language that is easy to understand. Avoid jargon and technical terms that may be confusing.
2. Utilize digital marketing: Millennials and Gen Z are digital natives, so digital marketing tactics are essential for reaching them. Invest in SEO and SEM, create content and campaigns on social media platforms, and use other digital channels to reach these generations.
3. Connect with influencers: Consider partnering with influencers who have an established presence in your target market. Influencers can help to spread the word about your financial institution and generate genuine interest in your services.
4. Focus on mobile: Invest in creating a mobile-friendly website and create content specifically for mobile users. Millennials and Gen Z prefer to use their phones for online activities, so make sure that your website and content are optimized for mobile use.
5. Personalize your approach: Millennials and Gen Z respond well to personalization. Use data to create personalized campaigns and content tailored to your target market.
6. Utilize storytelling: Use storytelling to engage with younger generations and to illustrate the value of your services. Focus on stories of real people and their experiences with your financial institution.
How will you use my personal information?
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes: To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us. To provide you with email alerts, event registrations, and other notices concerning our products, services, events, and news that may be of interest to you. To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collections. To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into with our clients. To improve our website and present its contents to you. For testing, research, analysis, and product development. As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our clients, or others. To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations. As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Ready to kick-start your inbound marketing strategy with buyer personas?
Fill out the form to download the kit now.